MILLGATE, NEWARK

Home
The Society
Listed Buildings
Millgate
Riverside Walk
Photo Gallery
Contact
Become a Member

The Millgate Conservation Society
MILLGATE NEWARK
Millgate lies along the line of the Roman Fosse Way
 which connected their capital cities which now are
Leicester and Lincoln. For many years it formed part
 of the A46 trunk road between those cities, and was on
 the approach from Leicester, latterly as a one-way
 NEwards road, until the Relief Road was opened in
 1990.
 Millgate was strategically placed close to the
River Trent and was developed as a trading centre with
 mills and tanneries during the Middle Ages, but lay
 outside the Borough of Newark until until the time of the
 Civil War. Millgate reached its heyday in the late 18th-
early 19th centuries, with the land adjacent to the Trent
 and Devon being drained. Millgate became a busy
 trading centre with wharves, many fine houses and
 businesses, especially maltings (an important Newark
 industry) and a brewery. The opening of the railway in
 1847 was the death-knell for Millgate. No new building
 took place after 1861 and many of the shops, business
 and wharves went into decline. By the 1950s the area
 was badly run-down. Since  the Newark Act for
 Conservation in 1968 the area has been restored
 as a residential area. Many new housing developments
 have been erected, skilfully using architecture in sympathy
 with the industrial styles of 200 years ago. It is now a
 designated Conservation Area, with many listed buildings
, and an active Millgate Conservation Society.


Millgate Field
At the southwestern end of Millgate, Millgate Field

 Along Millgate

The Spring House

This public house which has recently closed is situated
 on the right side as one enters Millgate from the Leicester
 direction.
 It is an elegant Georgian building, at one time standing
 on the edge of the rural parish
 of Hawton, and is opposite
 the Sconce Hills, a Civil War fortification
 

The White House
Dominating the approach is the 'White House' which dates
back to the 17thcentury. One of its residents was Gilstrap Earp,
a leading brewer in the town

The White House
The White House

King Street junction 
This junction was the site of Civil War fortifications, which
defended Newark from beseiging Parliamentarians from 1645-6
 Just on the town side is an elegant row of Georgian properties.

   The Old Hall      
      Southern end of Millgate                   
      plaque on wall 66-68                                      
   Top-Bottom: The Old hall; southwestern end of Millgate; Plaque on the wall of No66
Lenton Terrace 
On the west side of Millgate opposite the Old Hall
 is an imposing block of three-storey houses dating
from 1861. Through an archway a yard-way leads to
this terrace which is Millgate's last 'yard' At the river
end was a disused warehous. which has been converted
 into award-winning residential properties.No66-68:a
plaque was unveiled on May 25 2002, commemoratin
that this was one-time residence of atrist William
Cubley, who was also mayor in 1866.
The Old Hall
This 17th century imposing building was erected on
the site of St Guthred's Hermitage. Guthred became
 a hermit after slaying a fellow knight, and reputedly
 was cured by the waters of St Catherine's Well. In
the 19th century it was the Catholic presbytery, adjacent
to the (now demolished) Catholic church. 

Coopers Yard.
 
On the former site of the 'Trent Brewery', a development
 built 1988-1991, with architecture and plan sympathetic
 to the old brewery 
The brick pillars at the entrance to
Coopers Yard are of the same design as those which
 formed the entry to the Trent Brewery
.
 

Watermill pub
     
Coopers Yard
        
Mill Lane
From top to Bottom: The "Watermil" pub; Coopers Yard; Mill Lane

Tannery Wharf 
New houses were built in the early 1980s on the site of what was a
 tannery: when the tannery closed, the site became a scrap yard 
Mill Lane.
Leading up tto Mill Bridge across the Trent

former Methodist chapel         
       
 55 Millgate      
     
  Museum Yard
Above,top to bottom: The former Methodist Chapel; 55 Millgate; Museum Yard

Museum Yard
 
The imposing building occupying the west side of Museum Yard
 was at one time a mill, and was owned by the Navigation Canal
Company. The northern block of this building houses a collection
 of offices and also the 'Navigation Waterfront' public house and
restaurant.
 The greater part of the building is home to the Millgate
Museum, which exhibits a large collection of folk material from the
 early-mid 20th century. Together with gift shop, entry is free o
f charge. Visitors are invited to pay a voluntary fee on leaving

Behind the main houses on both sides of Millgate, were yards where
poor people could live, and where business was conducted. The
yard where Huddleston's Wharf is was owned by Thomas Creswick
Huddleston, Town Treasurer during the 19th century and also a
timber merchant. Some old blocks of building were renovated in
the 1970s 

The Watermill 
This is Millgate's only surviving public house (of which there were
seven in 1872)

The Old Methodist Chapel

On the town side of the 'Watermill' is a house, converted to office.
Originally it was Newark's first Methodist chapel, built by the 
Newark Methodist Soicety in 1776. Before that Wesley had
preaced inthe open air off Millgate. There is a commemorative 
plaque on the wall

Squire's Garage
Next along from the old chapel is a building which was a
Salvation Army Barracks in 1887. The building had been a Wool
and Flax Hall and Ropewalk. General Booth conducted the 
opening ceremony. For many years it was a garage and filling
station on  the then (then) A46
 

55 Millgate
Moving along from the old garage is No 55, which dates from the
16th century (or earlier). For many years it was divided into two 
shops- a grocer and a tobacconist.

Pelham Street junction. 
The building now a pine furniture warehouse and showroom ws
originally one of many maltings, which is still clear from its design. 
Various other buildings, mainly 19th century occupy the space to 
the top end of Millgate, and including:

town houses on Millgate           

 Town end of Millgate              

 ole Trentside warehouse

above: town houses on Millgate; town end of Millagte; old Trentside warehouse

Navigation Yard 
This yard is dominated by the Egg Packers' wharehouse,
founded in1931 for selling agricultural produce

Riverside Walk 
This is an amenity created bythe Council as a tourist attraction
 in the 1970s. It links all the developments from Tannery Wharf
 up to a footpath leading out on to the top end of Millgate.